(Fwd) [ACAT] Updated MARC-related Perl code

Bernhard Eversberg ev at buch.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de
Do Jun 3 08:04:52 CEST 2004

Kurzer Hinweis:
Fuer Perl-Freunde, die sich mit MARC21-Daten befassen wollen oder muessen, gibt
es Software-Werkzeuge:

Date sent:      	Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:21:19 -0500
From:           	Bryan Baldus <bryan.baldus at quality-books.com>
Subject:        	[ACAT] Updated MARC-related Perl code
To:             	AUTOCAT at LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU

As you may recall, I have been working on Perl code to find and correct
errors in MARC records, among other things. I have updated my home page
again [1]. The manifest [2] and readme [3] provide more information. I
reorganized the site, so if you have visited before, most of the URLs have
changed.  Of particular interest are the following:

New module: MARC::Lintadditions [4]: This is an extension to the
MARC::Record distribution's MARC::Lint module [5]. It contains a number of
additional check_XXX functions, some of which might be useful for the
official Lint.pm distribution. It requires modifying the data in Lint.pm
(adding control field (001-008) data), as described in the Lintadditions.pm
file. There is probably some room for optimization, as it runs a little
slowly with all of the checks it has to perform.

Associated with Lintadditions.pm is lintwithadditions.pl [6], which uses
the module to run the checks, as described in Example V3 of the
MARC::Doc::Tutorial (from MARC::Record).

I have made minor changes to a few of the other scripts. I have also added
an in process directory, where I am working on a parser for the LCSH weekly
lists [7]. See that file for more information.

Eventually, I hope to use the parser in connection with a global replace
script, but that is in the planning stages at the moment (any assistance
would be greatly appreciated).

Another new .pl: countrecsbytype.pl [8]. It may need some changes to work
for others, and doesn't serve much direct purpose other than counting
records based on their type (LDR/06).

[1] Home page: http://home.inwave.com/eija/
[2] File description (manifest): http://home.inwave.com/eija/manifest.htm
[3] Readme: http://home.inwave.com/eija/readme.htm
[4] Lintadditions:
http://home.inwave.com/eija/bryanmodules/MARC-Lintadditions-1.00/Lintadditio
ns.pm.txt
[5] More on MARC::Record at http://marcpm.sourceforge.net
[6] Lintwithadditions.pl:
http://home.inwave.com/eija/fullrecscripts/lintwithadditions.txt
[7] LCSH Weekly List parser:
http://home.inwave.com/eija/inprocess/LCSHchangesparserpl.txt
[8] Count records by type:
http://home.inwave.com/eija/fullrecscripts/countrecsbytype.txt

I welcome any comments, questions, and/or assistance. Please reply to either
this e-mail address or to the address listed at my site.

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger
Quality Books, Inc.
bryan.baldus at quality-books.com

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  B.Eversberg at tu-bs.de