Help! old version Alegro-C on Novell 3.12 with W2K client

Thomas Berger ThB at gymel.com
Do Nov 28 09:59:07 CET 2002

Hello Jeroen klein Gebbing,

>                                                     we migrated our
> workstations to Windows 2000 while running Algero on our Novell 3.12 server.
> Everything works fine exept for a problem with one of our catalogs

But You had to or had not to upgrade Your version of allegro-C
to a current one?

> When one of our employees adds new records or even when the catalog is
> viewed the following message is displayed:
>
> top of screen:  "recn=9372, worng recn=-16843009, ci=-1, file#=1 rad=1884357

This reads: You tried to attempt record 9372 in the database,
which according to the table <database>.tbl resides in File #1
at position (byte offset) 1884357. But on that position
of the .ald file nothing could be read.

> bottom of screen: "no records under this number OR wrong recordnumber" (<--
> translated in English)
>
> What can be the problem? The database is about 2,5 MB large and the volume
> has plenty of space left for storing data.

My impression is the database (some / all .ALD-files) got
truncated when it was copied onto the server (those are
binary files which frequently contain ASCII 26 = DOS End-of-File).

The following should bring a correct display: From the record
display enter "x", then a small window opens where you enter
"#1" (or another small number): these records should display
correctly up to number #something.

If not even record #1 displays without error, maybe
file <databasename>1.ald did not get copyied at all
onto the new server or there may be a problem with
access rights / readability.

Hope this helps
Thomas Berger