import-problem #00 -> #000

David Helliwell djh at vax.ox.ac.uk
Mo Jun 17 17:40:17 CEST 1996

Dear Mr Horn,

Please forgive my use of English: you would not
understand my German.

> problemlos, waehrend:

> _ 0 "00 "
> _ 0 "000 "

> einfach nur die kategorienummer voellig unterschlaegt? die gleich darauf
> folgenden

> _ 0 "01 "
> _ 0 "010 "

> macht import ja auch fehlerfrei...

I converted our configuration from 2 to 3 bytes two years
ago, and at that time it was necessary to proceed as
follows:

First, use SRCH to export the entire database (into .cLG
format), with the following line in the export parameter:

  ag=0

This will turn all the hierarchical subrecords into
separate records.

Then, use IMPORT to convert the .cLG file into your
new 3-byte format. The import parameter should contain
the following lines at the beginning:

  s2 "01  "
  ^

  s3 "02  "
  ^

  &c.

The logic is as follows. If 2 "01  " is present in
the record, import it, but add it to the record that
has just been imported (- the ^ does this); then,
the other fields are simply added to the record
after #001. Similarly with #002, &c. Note that if
there are no 01, 02 fields &c., the ^ command is
not executed, and a new record is therefore created,
which is what is wanted, of course.

I remember that this piece of importation caused me
much trouble at the time. In the end, as ever, the
solution was beautifully simple.

David Helliwell

David Helliwell
Department of Oriental Books