virus pkzip

E-RIEXINGER at rz-fs-2.rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de E-RIEXINGER at rz-fs-2.rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de
Fr Apr 19 12:51:53 CEST 1996

Date sent:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 05:43:25 GMT
To:             iwetel at sarenet.es
From:           webadmin at regsrv01.sarenet.es (by way of saraz at ibm.net (Angelica Zapatero))
Subject:        virus pkzip

NEW VIRUS WARNING!
A new Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the Internet with the name
PKZIP300.ZIP.  It was named as such so that the file would pass as a
new version of PKZIP software, a file compression utility from PKWare.

We are warning all our subscribers NOT TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE PKZIP300.ZIP
under any circumstances.  The virus has been known to wipe out the entire
hard disk clena and affect modems at 14.4 and higher.  This is an extremely
destructive virus of which there is no cure for the moment.

 |  Dr. Sibet Riexinger    |      Forschungszentrum Terramare      |
 |  Schleusenstrasse  1    |      Phone  ++49(0)4421/ 944 - 113    |
 |  D-26382 Wilhelmshaven  |      Fax    ++49(0)4421/ 944 - 199    |
 +--------- E-mail riexinger at terramare.fh-wilhelmshaven.de --------+