GENERAL REMARKS /QUESTIONS FROM BELGIUM

Luk Vanlanduyt landuyt at innet.be
Mo Mai 22 22:46:02 CEST 1995

Hello colleagues,

        Here you find some general questions we 've. We hope that solutions
are coming in next time. As you see the situation here from Belgium, I'm
sure that Allegro offers all possibities but only the OPAC-version should be
more clear.

1. OPAC-version?

        I've the impression that the question about the OPAC-module isn't in
discussion. We follow our students and expire that without any instruction they
have a lot of problems esp. about combined search. With a little workgroup
we suggest following ameliorations of the OPAC-module.

a) If somebody starts the opac, he should get the blue help-screen as start-up.
b) We suggest that the in the bottom of the screen: some extra lines should
be available to explain the combined search strategy and to explain more
clear to get more information.
c) To press SHIFT+F9 or SHIFT+F8 is a rather difficult action for people
unfamiliar with computers. With ANSI.SYS we 've changed Shift+F9 and
Shift+F8 with F9 and F8 (we don't use index F8 and F9)
d) At this time, you 've just to type your search word when your index is
choosen. We should suggest that at the screen is more clear and that
immediately a little box appear to type in your search word. Why shouldn't
it appears as follow:

F2: Searching on authors, institutions...
                                              ________
                Type in your search word:     hghdgshd
                                              ________

                = If you want to combine with something else:
                      1. press enter and then /
                       2. go to the other index and select the second
                                search word
        1 abb
        1 abbkj
        12 abblmmme

        F8: Show short title        F10: END
        ESC: Restart - more information

2. Relational structure

At this time it is for me very unclear how double information can be
avoided. F.e. (we 're a music-library): we 've a database of 12.000
componists with birthdate, nationality etc. How should the databank be
organised that it isn't necessary to type in each record all the information
of the componist?

3. We're still looking for colleagues, using Allegro-C in Music-libraries.

4. In BOLERO the most difficult question isn't solved. It is about the
strength of a composition (2 violons, 3soprano's...) We've constructed a new
strategy for this problem (at this time used in the famous Koninklijk
Conservatorium of Brussels 1.000.000 scores!): put in one field information
on different levels:
4+symf: V1 H3 <Sopr1 Fagot1 Hobo2>
You have here three levels: 4+symf means: 4 solists + symnfonical orchestra
V1 H3: 1 vocal and 3 holzbläsers
Sopr1: 1soprano; 1 fagot; 2 hobo's.
With the magnific indexing possiblities is it quit simple to find a work for:
3 solists whereoff 1 trumpet and 2 bas.
There are special cases, but most of them were solved.

So that were some general remarks and questions from Belgium... See you.

Drs Luk Vanlanduyt
BBS: 0032-(0)16224487  ANSI-BBS 17u-24u
Landuyt at innet.be
-----
Privé: Luk Vanlanduyt                        Lemmensinstituut: Herestraat 53
       Eikenberg 29/1                                          3000 Leuven - B
       8310 BRUGGE - BELGIUM                                  0032-(0)16233967
       0032-(0)50375123 voice (answering m.)              fax: 0032-(0)16222477